Clinical Pastoral Education, or CPE, is a practice-based learning experience that brings students into supervised encounters with persons in crisis. It provides an in-depth pastoral experience with individual and group supervision by certified teaching chaplains.
- CPE is offered independently of YDS through programs accredited by the Association of Clinical Pastoral Education (ACPE). Anyone can apply to these CPE programs.
- The Director of OSM is the YDS liaison with external CPE programs around the United States and Canada.
- One unit of CPE, which can be taken during a summer or an academic year, can receive 6 transfer credits and fulfill the supervised ministry requirement for the M.Div. degree.
- Eligible students may receive a stipend through the Office of Finance and Administration.
- Clinical Pastoral Education is not required by YDS for any degree program, but many denominations require CPE for ordination. Students preparing for ministry are strongly encouraged to take it.
Choosing a CPE Site
The ACPE web site has a searchable directory of accredited sites, including contact information. Students should contact individual sites for information about their program.
Requirements for YDS Credit
- 1 CPE unit = 6 hrs of transfer elective credits at YDS
- CPE can fulfill the MDiv requirement for supervised ministry, if you choose to designate it as such.
- Summer units last approximately 10-12 weeks; extended (part-time) units vary from 3-8 months; all require 400 hours.
- You can receive credit for up to 15 hours of supervised ministry toward the MDiv degree. This would be the equivalent of 2.5 units of CPE.
- Many supervisors and students recommend taking a pastoral care course before CPE, but it is not required.
- Procedure to receive academic credit: a 10-15 minute interview with the Director of Supervised Ministry and a copy of (the first summary page of) your CPE evaluation.
- CPE programs charge tuition, which varies from approximately $600-$1000. A few CPE programs offer stipends or housing.
- YDS provides financial aid to students who are using CPE to fulfill some of their degree requirements.
- Aid is offered in the form of work-study funding (up to $4000 dollars) to help cover living expenses during the time of CPE. As for other work-study positions, students submit weekly timesheets, are paid weekly or biweekly, and employment taxes are withheld.
- Procedure for aid: Submit a copy of your acceptance letter and an Application for CPE Funding to the OSM at least two weeks before starting CPE.