How to Apply
Please note: YDS does not accept GRE scores, and will not consider them if submitted.
August 2015: Fall 2016 Online application now open
November 5, 2015: Fall Open House: Click here to register
January 15th, 2016: Priority Filing Deadline
February 1st, 2016: Standard Filing Deadline
March 1st, 2016: Filing Deadline Financial Aid Application
March 15th, 2016: Admission decisions released
April 2016: Spring Admitted Student Day
April 15th, 2016: Intent to Matriculate deadline
Yale Divinity School is a graduate professional school that incorporates both Berkeley Divinity School and the Yale Institute of Sacred Music . Berkeley is an Episcopal seminary affiliated with Yale Divinity School. All applicants interested in Yale Divinity School and Berkeley Divinity School should use the Yale Divinity School Application for Admission.
The Yale Institute of Sacred Music supports programs of Liturgical Studies and Religion and the Arts jointly with Yale Divinity School. Applicants should apply directly to the Institute of Sacred Music using their online application.
Both Berkeley and Institute students receive their degrees from Yale Divinity School. Berkeley students may earn the Diploma in Anglican Studies, and Institute students will receive a certificate from the Yale Institute of Sacred Music.
Those interested in doctoral studies in religion should apply through the Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
Should you have questions or concerns about the application or the application instructions please call the Admissions Office at 203-432-5360 or e-mail email@example.com.
Applicants to Yale Divinity School programs are evaluated on the basis of academic ability and potential; leadership qualities; spiritual maturity; emotional stability; interpersonal communication skills; seriousness of purpose; personal initiative; and creativity.
All applicants must supply the following in order to complete the file that is submitted to the Admissions Committee:
1. Completed application form, which may be accessed online at https://apply.divinity.yale.edu/apply.
2. Official transcripts from each college, university, and professional school attended.
3. A personal essay (2 pages maximum/double spaced) should help the Admissions Committee evaluate one's application. It should address one's academic and vocational goals; how a Divinity School education can assist the applicant in meeting these goals; and what gifts and experiences a candidate can contribute to his or her theological education.
4. A writing sample (5 pages maximum/double spaced) that illustrates the applicant's ability to analyze and argue on a particular subject of his or her choice (a portion of a senior thesis or term paper is acceptable).
5. Three letters of recommendation, two of which should address academic potential. Letters are submitted by your letter writers through our online system once you have designated them.
6. A nonrefundable fee payable by credit card at the time of submission. The fee structure is: $50 for applications submitted on or before January 15th, 2014, or $75 for applications submitted after January 15th, 2014.
7. Scores of the IELTS (minimum 7.0) is required for applicants from countries where English is not the primary language of instruction.* For more information please visit www.ielts.org. Scores from the TOEFL are NOT accepted.
*Scores of the IELTS may be waived if the applicant received a degree from a foreign or domestic institution where English is the primary language of instruction.