- About YDS
- Admissions & Aid
- Life at YDS
- Faculty & Research
B.A., M.A. University of Cambridge
Kennedy Scholar, Harvard University
D.Phil. University of Oxford
Professor Starr’s latest book, Chinese Theology (2016), is a study of Chinese theological texts and their ties to literary forms. She is currently editing and translating a reader in Chinese Christian theology and working on a volume on Chinese Christian Fiction. Prof. Starr’s courses explore a range of approaches to East Asian theology, including theological survey, Chinese and Japanese Christian literatures, China Mission, and Asian American theologies. She taught previously at the universities of Durham, where she was Senior Tutor of St. John’s College, and Oxford, where she taught classical Chinese literature. Other works include Red-light Novels of the Late Qing (2007); a coedited volume, The Quest for Gentility in China (2007); and an edited volume, Reading Christian Scriptures in China (2008).
- Chinese Theology: Text and Context (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2016).
- Documenting China: A Reader in Seminal Twentieth-Century Texts, co-ed. (University of Washington Press, 2011)
- Reading Christian Scriptures in China, ed. (T & T Clark, 2008)
- The Quest for Gentility in China, co-ed. (Rutledge, 2007)
- Red-light Novels of the late Qing (Brill, 2007)