Leonora Tubbs Tisdale
Clement-Muehl Professor of Homiletics
Denomination: Presbyterian Church USA
Professor Tisdale teaches the theory and practice of preaching, with research interests in prophetic preaching, congregational studies and preaching, and women’s ways of preaching. She is the author or editor of eight books including Prophetic Preaching: A Pastoral Approach; Preaching as Local Theology and Folk Art; Teaching Preaching as a Christian Practice (co-edited with Thomas G. Long), and Making Room at the Table: An Invitation to Multicultural Worship (co-edited with Brian K. Blount). She also wrote the chapter on the Riverside Church preachers in The History of the Riverside Church in the City of New York. She and YDS colleague Thomas Troeger are currently writing a text book based on the innovative way in which they teach the introductory preaching course at YDS. A former president of the Academy of Homiletics, Professor Tisdale has served on the faculties of Union Theological Seminary in Virginia (now Union Presbyterian Seminary) and Princeton Theological Seminary, and as adjunct faculty at Union Theological Seminary in New York. She also served on the pastoral staff of Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church in New York City, where she provided theological oversight for the Center for Christian Studies, an innovative lay theological academy offering courses for over 2,000 people in the greater New York area.
B.A. University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill
D.Min. Union Theological Seminary in Virginia
Ph.D. Princeton Theological Seminary.
- Prophetic Preaching: A Pastoral Approach (Westminster John Knox Press, 2010)
- Teaching Preaching as a Christian Practice: A New Approach to Homiletical Pedagogy, co-ed. (Westminster John Knox Press, 2008)
- The History of the Riverside Church in the City of New York, co-author (NYU Press, 2004)
- Making Room at the Table: An Invitation to Multicultural Worship, co-ed. (Westminster John Knox Press, 2001)
- The Abingdon Women’s Preaching Annual, Series 2 Year A (Abingdon, 2001)
- The Abingdon Women’s Preaching Annual, Series 2 Year C (Abingdon, 2000)
- The Abingdon Women’s Preaching Annual, Series 2 Year B (Abingdon, 1999)
- Preaching as Local Theology and Folk Art (Fortress Press, 1997)