Financial Aid FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

Jump to>FAQ for International Students

FAQ for All students:

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

The application for financial aid is available January 1st for download in PDF format on the YDS web site.

What is the financial aid deadline?

The deadline for admission applicants is March 1, for continuing students it is April 1.

How do I apply for Merit Scholarships?

There is no separate application for Merit Scholarships, they are based on your application for admission and determined by the admissions committee.

How do I find information about student loans?

The university has created a web site for graduate and professional students, it contains information about Student Financial services and financial aid at the university in general.    You may also find information about loan programs, the Yale Payment Plan and there is also a scholarship search.  The web site is:

What forms will I need?

All aid applicants will need to fill out the YDS financial aid application and the FAFSA. International students need to fill out the CSS International Certification of Finances in addition to the YDS financial aid application.

Do I need to provide a copy of my federal tax return?

No, when completing the FAFSA it is preferred that you utilize the new Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to upload your tax information directly into the FAFSA from the IRS web site. DRT is available to you about 2 weeks after you complete an electronic tax return or 8 weeks after you complete a paper return. If you are unable to use the DRT system you will need to manually input your data into the FAFSA.

What if I am selected for verification on my FAFSA?

If an applicant is selected for verification you may need to complete the "Federal Verification Form" and provide a copy of your tax transcript from the IRS. If you are selected for verification the Financial Aid Office will be in contact with you regarding the necessary documentation you will need to provide. 

Is the Profile form required?

No, the only form required is the FAFSA.

Is on campus work available?

Yes, you may check the Student Employment web site at There are usually more jobs on campus than students to fill them, once you find a job you may check with the financial aid office for Federal Works Study eligibility.

Is on campus housing available?

Yes, the divinity school has on campus apartments, junior 1 bedroom, 1bedroom and 2 bedroom apartments are available. You may check the housing website for more information at

How do I apply for housing?

You may visit the Graduate Housing website for more information at for more information and a link to the on line application

>Back to the Top

FAQ for International Students:

Will I need to provide other documents?

While international applicants are eligible for scholarship assistance, by itself this assistance is seldom, if ever sufficient to secure an I-20. For this reason you will need to provide documentation that you have enough funds to cover your educational and living expenses while at Yale. Documentation could be in the form of bank statements.

If I am married is it possible to bring my spouse and family?

Yes, if you can provide enough evidence of financial support for their well being we are able to request F-2 visas for them. You will need to provide the financial aid office with their names, dates of birth, country of birth and country of citizenship.

Will I be able to work?

Yes, you will be able to work on campus only by the terms of your visa.

Will my spouse be able to work?

No, by the terms of the F-2 visa spouses are not eligible to work on or off campus.

How do I get my I-20?

Once the Financial Aid Office receives all the necessary documentation, the I-20 will be requested from the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS). When the I-20 is ready, the financial aid office will send it to you via Federal Express. The I-20 is not issued more than 3 months prior to the start of the semester.

What do I do when I receive my I-20?

When you receive your I-20 you should make an appointment with the consulate in your country to request the visa. Canadian students may secure their visa at the boarder.

Where can I get more information for International Students at Yale?

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) has developed their website to include information about types of visa's, Yale, New Haven and living in the United States.

>Back to the Top