Application Instructions and Requirements
Should you have questions or concerns about the application or the application instructions please call the Admissions Office at 203-432-5360 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants to Yale Divinity School programs are evaluated on the basis of academic ability and potential; leadership qualities; spiritual maturity; emotional stability; interpersonal communication skills; seriousness of purpose; personal initiative; and creativity.
All applicants must supply the following in order to complete the file that is submitted to the Admissions Committee:
1. APPLICATION FORM - Completed application form, which may be accessed online at https://apply.divinity.yale.edu/apply.
2. TRANSCRIPTS - Official transcripts from each college, university, and professional school attended.
3. PERSONAL ESSAY - A personal essay (2 pages maximum/double spaced) should help the Admissions Committee evaluate one’s application. It should address one’s academic and vocational goals; how a Divinity School education can assist the applicant in meeting these goals; and what gifts and experiences a candidate can contribute to his or her theological education.
4. WRITING SAMPLE - A writing sample (5 pages maximum/double spaced) that illustrates the applicant’s ability to analyze and argue on a particular subject of his or her choice (a portion of a senior thesis or term paper is acceptable).
5. LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION - Three letters of recommendation, two of which should address academic potential. Letters are submitted by your letter writers through our online system once you have designated them.
6. APPLICATION FEES - A non-refundable application fee is required of all applicants. The application fee is payable by credit card at the time of submission. The fee structure is: $50 for applications submitted on or before January 15th, 2020, or $75 for applications submitted after January 15th, 2020.
7. IELTS REQUIREMENTS - Applicants for whom English is not their primary language are required to provide IELTS scores (a minimum of 7.0 band score in all areas) as evidence of their English language proficiency. IELTS may be waived only if: applicant has studied (for no less than two (2) years) and received a degree from a college or university where English is the sole language of instruction. Applicants are strongly encouraged to register for the IELTS at the earliest opportunity, as scoring and processing will take a substantial amount of time and our office must receive the results by February 1st.