The financial integrity of many churches has been challenged in recent years by changes in the environment. Declining membership, declining participation, and the global pandemic have created unprecedented financial pressures. Yet very few churches have adjusted their budgeting and financial planning for this new reality. This three-part series will review church budgets and budgeting in light of today’s conditions and suggest changes you may want to implement in your budget process for 2023 and beyond.
Session I: Mission and Money
- Mission, mission statements, and their impact on budgeting
- Philanthropy and generational preferences
- Lessons from the secular nonprofit world: the example of charity: water
Session II: The Traditional Why and How of Church Budgets
- The utility of budgets
- Budgets and fundraising
- Incremental budgets in today’s world
Session III: Budgeting for 2023
- Practical opportunities
- Lessons from the church world: the example of Bethlehem Lutheran
The three sessions will occur on September 8, 15, and 22.