Admissions & Financial Aid
**New Academic Programs**
Keeping pace with the changing landscape in church and society, we are excited to debut three new academic programs this year. Learn more below.
The Fall 2020 application is up and running!
- S.T.M. for Ministry Professionals
- To serve working ministers in larger churches that offer pastoral sabbaticals, YDS has adopted a new S.T.M. (Master of Sacred Theology) program that allows students to do the second of their two semesters remotely—a first for the Divinity School. The S.T.M. degree is for students who already possess an M.Div. and want to expand their academic work in a specific area.
- Practical Theology Concentration (M.A.R.)
- The new Practical Theology M.A.R. (Master of Arts in Religion) is intended to serve two groups of students interested in the study of lived religion and theologically and grounded research on religious practices: those who want to go on to Ph.D. work in the field and future pastors whose traditions do not require ministers to have the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) degree.
- Ministers in the Vicinity (Non-degree program)
- YDS adopted a “Ministers in the Vicinity” program to serve ministers within a fifty-mile radius of New Haven who have bachelor’s degrees to enroll for credit in classes at a 50% discount of published per credit hour rates. The program allows students to take up to four classes over a two-year period and receive a certificate. Students in the program may petition to have the credits applied toward a YDS degree program in the event they later enroll.
Welcome to Yale Divinity School!
We are glad that you have come to our admissions webpage. If you are new to Yale Divinity School, here is some basic information to help you get started. We invite you to learn more about us, explore the application instructions and requirements, and schedule a visit to our campus.
Yale Divinity School educates the scholars, ministers, and leaders of the future. Students from a full spectrum of Christian denominations and faiths attend YDS to begin a lifetime of ministry, scholarship, and service to church and world.
YDS fulfills a critical role preparing leaders at a time of dramatic shifts in the global theological landscape. The student body represents a wide range of cultures, ethnicities, and faith communities from around the world, taught by faculty eager to accept the educational challenges of an increasingly globalized environment. Faith and intellect meet in our daily ecumenical worship services in Marquand Chapel which reflect the great variety of theological and worship traditions represented here.
YDS Admissions Officers are on the road constantly! Check our schedule to find out if we are in your area.
YDS students take advantage of the full resources of Yale University and our extraordinary library system. Many students take courses across Yale and benefit from the cultural and social life of a world-class university.
Yale Divinity School is a graduate professional school within a research university and is both a rigorous academic institution and an ecumenical community of faith. Three partners on the Quad enrich students’ experiences and provide opportunities for development and growth in various areas. Andover Newton Seminary at Yale, specializing in ministry formation for congregational faith traditions, Berkeley Divinity School, an Episcopal Seminary at Yale and the Yale Institute of Sacred Music, a center for the interdisciplinary study of sacred music, worship and the related arts. All applicants must use the Yale Divinity School Application for Admission.
The Yale Institute of Sacred Music partners with Yale Divinity School in programs for sacred music, liturgical studies, religion and literature, and religion and visual arts. Applicants with academic background in these and related areas who wish to continue these studies at Yale must apply directly to the Institute of Sacred Music using the ISM online application as well as the Yale Divinity School application for admission.
All students receive their degrees from Yale Divinity School. In addition to a degree, Berkeley specific students may earn the Diploma in Anglican Studies, Andover specific students may earn a diploma, signifying readiness for ministry and Institute of Sacred Music specific students will receive the ISM certificate.
Those interested in doctoral studies in religion should apply through the Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.