Equity for Women in the #MeToo Era
Time: Wednesday, September 26, 2018
Reception - 6:30pm to 7:00pm
Main Program - 7:00pm to 8:00pm
Location: The Yale Club of New York City - 50 Vanderbilt Ave, New York, NY 10017
Powerful men exposed as serial harassers and abusers. Challenges to the established practice of valuing women for their sexuality more than their ability. The overdue airing of the voices that have been silenced for too long. Public outcry for accountability has produced a powerful new platform for addressing the inequities around gender and power in our fast-changing culture. One year out from the arrival of the #MeToo movement, this provocative Yale panel will explore the emerging new understanding of gender-based violence and harassment and their effect on their (mostly) female survivors, while considering how the best of our philosophies and theologies can set a new trajectory toward a healthy, humane, and equitable culture around gender and power. The panelists are:
- Kaji Douša ‘06 M.Div., Senior Pastor at Park Avenue Christian Church, New York City - full biography
- Serene Jones ‘85 M.Div., ’91 Ph.D., President of Union Theological Seminary and former Yale Divinity School professor - full biography
- Galen Sherwin ‘94 B.A., Senior Staff Attorney at the Women’s Rights Project of the ACLU (moderator) - full biography
- Carmelyn P. Malalis ‘96 B.A., Chair and Commissioner, New York City Commission on Human Rights - full biography
- Josef Sorett, Associate Professor in the Religion Department and the Institute for Research in African-American Studies at Columbia University, director of the Center on African-American Religion, Sexual Politics and Social Justice - full biography
This panel event will be streamed on the Yale Divinity School Livestream page here: https://livestream.com/yaledivinityschool/metoo.
The event will be later archived at the YDS YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/user/YaleDivinitySchool.
Yale alumni in the New York area are welcome to attend the event at the Yale Club in Manhattan. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.