Henry Hart Rice Foreign Residence Fellowships

Provide support for Yale students in the humanities and social sciences to conduct individual study and research for 9 to 12 months while in residence in a foreign country that is experiencing strained relations with the United States. At present, eligible are countries of Africa, Central Asia, the Caucasus, Eastern Europe that are not members of the EU, Russia, Latin America, the Middle East, South and Southeast Asia as well as the People’s Republic of China. Excluded are most of the traditional friends and allies of the U.S., including Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand, and countries that are members of the EU. Eligible are undergraduates who have completed at least two years of course work, including graduating seniors; graduate and professional students who have permission from their Director of Graduate Studies to take a year’s leave of absence for this purpose; and graduate students at the conclusion of a terminal master’s program. The fellowship stipend may cover most or all travel and living expenses in the host country; generally one award is made.