YDS faculty are an amazing group of individuals who do more than teach and advise. If you were physically on campus for open house, they would have been out in large numbers to meet and greet you. To help you get to know them a little, we asked a few of our faculty members to do videos to share about the programs and areas they teach in as well as opportunities of study that exist within their disciplines. We have also provided a few links for you to explore their current work, interests, research, books. Also available for your exploration are videos of their voices and thoughts about matters that are extremely relevant in our world today. We hope you enjoy this webpage as you hear from some of our faculty. Please feel free to contact them after you have listened to their messages and explored the additional website pages. They are eager to hear from you!
The curriculum at YDS is divided into five main academic areas, along with supervised ministries, the scope and purposes of which may be described briefly as follows:
- Area I—Biblical Studies Old Testament, New Testament, and cognate studies.
- Area II—Theological Studies Theology, Christian ethics, and liturgical studies.
- Area III—Historical Studies Studies in the historical substance of Christian faith and tradition.
- Area IV—Ministerial Studies Studies in the work of the church and the various forms of its ministry in the world.
- Area V—Comparative and Cultural Studies Studies in religion, philosophy, the arts, personality, and society, including social ethics.
- Supervised Ministries Field education, together with theological reflection, in church, social, educational, or clinical ministries.
Area I Hebrew Bible
Hebrew Bible: Faculty Coordinator Joel Baden
Associated faculty: John Collins, Greg Mobley, Eric Reymond, Jacqueline Vayntrub
Area I New Testament
Area II Christian Ethics
Area II Theology
Area III Historical Studies
Area IV Practical Theology
Area V Comparative and Cultural Studies
Black Religion in the African Diaspora
Latinx and Latin American Christianity
Latinx and Latin American Christianity: Faculty Coordinator Erika Helgen
Philosophy of Religion and Philosophical Theology
Religion and the Arts
Religion and Ecology
Black Church Studies
- Ministry in a local parish context: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3ob7TWEco
- Building Reciprocal Bridges; Black Church Studies Spring Colloquium. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHMM2YR-vIs
- The Black Church Studies Vocational Conversation: Local Parish Ministry. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHMM2YR-vIs
- The Black Church Studies Vocational Conversation: Ministry in the Private and Non-Profit Sector. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1re2R6QhR14
- The Black Church Studies Vocational Conversation: Ministry in an Academic Community. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFHjxEdszg4
- An Interview with Enola Aird, President and Founder of the Community Healing Network: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RxbSzydOl4
Catholic Lay Ministerial Studies
Video unavailable, please see a full program description on Denominational Programs - Lutheran Studies
Contact: Timothy Keyl, Director - firstname.lastname@example.org
Video unavailable, please see a full program description on Degree Programs and Certificates - Reformed Studies
Contact: Maria LaSalle, email@example.com
United Methodist Studies
Video unavailable, please see a full program description on Denominational Programs - United Methodist Studies