Yale Divinity School
Commencement COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
YDS Classes of 2020 & 2021
Cluster Reunion and Commencement
May 13-14, 2022
We look forward to celebrating YOU and reconnecting with classmates!
We are counting down the days to welcoming you back to campus!
We are EXCITED that we are finally able to celebrate commencement with you and the rest of the University as well as reconnect you with your classmates in person! We are in the final stages of planning the activities, finetuning the logistical arrangements, and preparing for the celebrations. Here are updates for your own planning:
2020 & 2021 COMMENCEMENT WORSHIP is curated and led by JaQuan Beachem, ‘21 M.Div., Graham Bridgeman ‘20 M.Div, David DeLeon ‘21 M.Div., Peter Levenstrong ‘20 M.Div., Helena Martin ‘20 M.Div., Jathan Martin ‘21 M.Div., Logan McLean Strike ‘20 M.Div, An Hoa Nguyen ‘21 M.A.R., Mahogany Thomas ‘20 M.Div., sermon by Eboni Marshall Turman, charge by Donyelle McCray, benediction by Ned Allyn Parker
The YDS Bookstore will be open Friday from 12:00 noon – 7:00 p.m. and Saturday from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
The YDS parking lot will be open after 2:00 p.m. on Friday.
- 12 noon – 3 pm - Cap & gowns may be picked up under our registration tent behind the Quad, below the labyrinth.
- If you did not pre-order a gown, we do have some extras, let us know ASAP if you might need one.
- 3:00 pm – Meet Dean Jeanne Peloso on the front Quad for a rehearsal of the Commencement Worship and Diploma Ceremony processions.
- 3:30 pm – Lineup for Commencement worship processional on the Front Quad.
- 4:00 – 5:00 pm - Commencement Worship on Sterling Divinity Quadrangle.
- If rain is forecasted, we will make the decision by 9:00 am on whether worship will be hosted indoors and post it to our website. Alum graduates will meet in the second floor Common Room at 3:00 pm. Family members may watch the simulcast from Niebuhr Hall, Great Hall, and SG-58.
- 5:30 – 7:30 pm – Reunion Food Truck Reception! Enjoy Old World Pizza, Me’Stezo Grill, and Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream as you visit with friends. Don’t forget to stop at our registration tent below the labyrinth if you haven’t picked up your YDS picnic blanket. Be ready to take a selfie with Handsome Dan! In case of inclement weather, guests will be able to eat in the Old Refectory and Old Common Room.
Saturday, May 14
- 8:00 am – Shuttle Service begins from Yale Divinity School to Cross Campus. Shuttles will leave from Prospect Street, in front of the Quad.
- 8:30 am – Lineup for processional down Prospect Street to main campus.
- 9:00 am - Procession from YDS to Old Campus via Cross Campus
- 10:30 am - University Commencement on Old Campus
- The Old Campus ceremonies will be streamed in Niebuhr Hall and Great Hall for guests that remain on the Quad.
- 12:15 pm – Re-gather on the front Quad for YDS Commencement Ceremony
- 12:30 pm - YDS Commencement & Reception on Sterling Divinity Quadrangle
- In the event of inclement weather on Saturday, the University Commencement will still be held outdoors. If conditions warrant, the YDS ceremony will move indoors to Marquand Chapel, with family and friends able to watch the livestream from Niebuhr Hall, Great Hall, and SG-58. The reception will be held in the Old Refectory.
- Ceremony Livestream Link
For additional Commencement information, please visit the University’s websites for the May 14 event and information for families and guests, including accommodations, parking, and transportation. There is no limit to the number of guests that may accompany you to commencement ceremonies. Parking lot #11, adjacent to YDS, will be open starting at 2pm on Friday. Be sure to check back to both this website and the university websites for updates.
Quad access: please note that university buildings remain restricted for guest access, with entrance only through designated doors. Look for signage for access to campus facilities. Masks are required inside Yale buildings.
After Commencement: If you are willing, we invite you to leave your robe for us to share for future graduates of YDS. Look for a drop off location at the front entrance desk of Sterling Divinity Quadrangle.
We continue to monitor University requirements for Covid-19 precautions. Alums and guests who are fully vaccinated should carry documentation of these vaccinations during their time on campus. Please watch the University website for future messages about additional arrangements or requirements, as necessary, based on public health conditions.
There is still time to RSVP by May 5 if you haven’t already
It’s not too late to make plans to join your classmates for Reunion and Commencement on May 13 & 14 – but time IS RUNNING OUT! If you plan to come to campus of any of the festivities – please RSVP by May 5 so we know to expect you, and can update our plans. To participate in Saturday’s ceremonies, graduates are expected to wear a hood representing both the institution granting the degree and the degree granted. A limited number of extra robes are available if you would like to participate in Commencement activities, email email@example.com ASAP to inquire about us setting one aside for you. If you are not receiving news from our office, please complete this form to make sure we have the best address for you.