Financial Aid for International Students FAQ

Will I need to provide other documents?

While international applicants are eligible for scholarship assistance, by itself this assistance is not sufficient to secure an I-20. For this reason you will need to provide documentation that you have enough funds to cover your educational and living expenses while at Yale. Documentation could be in the form of bank statements.

If I am married, is it possible to bring my spouse and family?

Yes, if you can provide enough evidence of financial support for their well being we are able to request F-2 visas for them. You will need to provide the financial aid office with their names, dates of birth, country of birth, and country of citizenship. You will also need to submit copies of their passports.

Will I be able to work?

Yes, by the terms of your F-1 visa you will be able to work on campus only.

Will my spouse be able to work?

No, by the terms of the F-2 visa spouses are not eligible to work on or off campus.

How do I get my I-20?

Once the Financial Aid Office receives all the necessary documentation, the I-20 will be requested from the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS). When the I-20 is ready, OISS will send it to you electronically. The I-20 is not issued more than 3 months prior to the start of the semester.

What do I do when I receive my I-20?

When you receive your I-20 you should make an appointment with the consulate in your country to request the visa. Canadian students may secure their visa at the border.

Where can I get more information for International Students at Yale?

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) has developed their website to include information about types of visas, Yale, New Haven, and living in the United States.


Office of Financial Aid

(203) 432-5026
(203) 432-7475