Make your gift today
Learn how your gift will impact lives today and inspire others in the future.

Major Gifts

Gifts of Marketable Securities

A gift of appreciated securities that you have held for more than one year is frequently the most economical way to give. You will be eligible to take a federal income tax deduction equal to the fair market value of the stock on the date of the gift for up to 30 percent of your adjusted gross income and will not have to recognize the appreciation as capital gain.

How to Give Securities or Mutual Fund Shares to the Divinity School

Securities Held by Your Bank or Broker

  • Please notify your bank or broker that you are making a gift of securities to Yale Divinity School and instruct your bank or broker to either telephone Contribution Processing at (203) 432-4107 or e-mail for instructions. Please tell your bank or broker not to proceed until speaking with a representative at that office.
  • Or you may visit Give Now to make a donation of securities.

Securities Held by You

  • Please send unendorsed certificates by mail, along with a letter giving your name, address, indicate that your gift is to benefit Yale Divinity School , and the purpose of your gift to:
    • Yale University
      Office of Development
      Contribution Processing
      P.O. Box 803
      New Haven, Connecticut 06503-0805
      Telephone: (203) 432-4107
  • In a separate envelope, please mail to the same address a stock power for each certificate, along with a copy of your letter. Do not complete any information on the stock power other than your signature and the date. If the certificate represents a greater number of shares than you intend to give to Yale, please enclose a note requesting the return of a new stock certificate with the non-gift balance.
  • Your bank or broker can supply you with blank stock powers, or Contribution Processing will be happy to send them to you. For most expedient handling, do not fill in Yale’s name as transferee on either the stock certificate or the stock power, and please do not send stock certificates to a transfer agent for transfer into Yale’s name.

Mutual Fund Shares

  • Please contact Contribution Processing at (203) 432-4107 with information about your mutual fund shares. The procedure for transferring shares is established by the mutual fund company, and Contribution Processing will be able to assist you with the appropriate letters of instruction.

Yale’s Federal Tax Identification Number:

  • 06-0646973

Gifts of Other Assets

Gifts to Yale can come in the form of other assets as well. For example, you may wish to consider gifts of closely held stock, tangible personal property if its use is related to Yale’s educational purpose, or real estate. 

For further information on making a major gift, please contact:
Rod Lowe
Senior Associate Director of Major Gifts
Yale Divinity School
409 Prospect Street
New Haven, CT 06511
Telephone: (203) 432-8127